Army knives are always different from ordinary knives in that they provide various functions of use. We can say that the Swiss army knife is more a tool than a cutting device. And any tool requires certain maintenance after prolonged use. A dull knife is more dangerous to use than a sharpened one. A blunt knife has two side sharp edges and they can injure a person. The sharpening algorithm of Victorinox knives differs little from the traditional methods of sharpening and dressing the cutting edges of various tools.
Blade sharpening process
1. Victorinox swiss knives are equipped with several cutting attachments, including small scissors. They can also be sharpened if necessary. Any edges of the blades that are being turned, in relation to the grindstone, are applied at an angle of 15-20 degrees. We must try to maintain this angle constantly. This is one of the basic rules of the point of any knives. Compliance with it leads to a sharp point that retains a high degree of sharpening for a long time.
2. You can get started by sharpening two blades at the same time. But, for best results, it is better to process one surface first. It is necessary to move the knife along the sharpening stone in such a way as if you were cutting a thin slice of something with a knife. This movement is repeated until one side of the blade is completely sharpened. If it is completely dull, then use a stone with a larger grain size first. Better results can be achieved with a diamond stone, but the process will take longer. Do not press hard on the stone with the sharpened blade. The metal should be removed in small portions without deforming individual sections of the sharpened surface. The long blade is sharpened with lateral movements, while the edge is sharpened more evenly.
3. Further, sharpen the second side of the knife in the same way, while not changing the required sharpening angle.
4. When finishing sharpening, to obtain razor sharpness of the blade, it is necessary to use a sharpening stone with a minimum grain size. You are no longer sharpening the blade, but "adjusting" it. Heavy pressure is not allowed. The final straightening takes place using a leather belt, the surface of which is covered with a special paste. You can use GOI paste for this purpose. The texture of the paste can be identified by its color. The coarser one has a light green color. The middle one is green, and for the finest processing, a black paste with a greenish tint is used.
Finish and check sharpening
1. Dry or gently wipe the knife blade with a towel, paper towel to remove grease residues, sharpening stone particles and paste. The quality of the blade can be checked by cutting plain paper. A correctly sharpened blade reflects light evenly when illuminated, without visible beveled surfaces and scratches. You can try cutting a regular tomato. High-quality sharpening will allow the blade to pass through the skin without the slightest effort. A dull knife will slide off the surface. Another effective way to test the sharpness of a blade is to remove hairs from your own skin. It is necessary to hold a knife against the growth of hairs, trying not to touch the skin. A sharp knife cuts off all the hairs.
2. If you buy an original Victorinox knife, you can sharpen it to the degree of sharpening a Japanese sword that cuts falling hair. But there is hardly such a need.
Be careful when sharpening any cutting object. Do not hurry. Carelessness can result in serious injury.
Thank you for being with us, friends! Write comments, like and share with your friends! Subscribe to our feed and stay up to date with the most exciting and informative information! All good!