Smart TV set-top box is a small computer that significantly expands the current functionality of the TV. The set-top box is capable of connecting to the Internet and acting as a media computer with a focus on watching videos and listening to music.
That is, you can watch your favorite movie from the Internet on TV without any unnecessary movements - connecting to a computer, recording to a flash drive, etc.
You can also surf the Internet, however, you need to enter a search query or URL using the on-screen keyboard, but still, even my blog is read by 1.5% using the TV.
When is it worth buying a set-top box?
1. Your TV does not have Smart TV features and no internet connection, or you don’t like the built-in features and user interface.
For example, an Android set-top box can be customized to fit your needs, but the built-in functionality on the TV cannot be changed. Also, if the built-in capabilities in the TV are buggy or work slowly, then you can think about purchasing a set-top box.
2. You have a stable internet connection with a cable. Mobile internet may not work here. If there is no landline connection, but you want to use Smart TV, then you can take a closer look at the set-top boxes offered by your mobile operator. But 4G in your home should work well, otherwise video stream freezes may occur.
3. You use various Internet cinemas and you are tired of watching movies on your laptop screen. Many TV boxes have special software for popular online cinemas.
4. The prefix can be used without the Internet. For example, you can connect an external hard drive to it and watch pre-recorded movies from there. You can also set up a network between the set-top box and laptop via a Wi-Fi router to simplify the process of transferring files.
Basically, on the console you can do everything that is on the smartphone, even play games.
It will be interesting: Showed how I organized RGB backlighting on the monitor
How to choose a prefix?
1. Operating system - Android is better. The higher the version, the better.
2. Resolution - according to the specifications of the TV. For example, if the TV does not work in 4K, then you should not take a set-top box with such functionality. It will be more expensive.
3. Wi-Fi - optional, it is better to connect it with a wire.
4. If there is no stable wired Internet, then you can take a closer look at the set-top boxes with a built-in sim card.
5. Built-in services (online cinemas) optional.
Naturally, you need to read reviews on models in the selected price range. Modern set-top boxes are connected via HDMI or USB, but now there are models on sale for old TVs with connection via tulip wires.
Dealing with the control of the console is as easy as with any smartphone.
Do you use Smart TV capabilities? Write in the comments 👇
Subscribe: Telegram channel | Vkontakte community | classmates