You need to monitor the Wi-Fi router - you should not give your password to a person who is not your close relative or friend. And in general, it is better to periodically change the password for Wi-Fi or protect the router from connections of unknown devices by MAC address. But more on that later. Let's say a bad person connects to your router via Wi-Fi. What can he do?
Use the internet
It would seem, yes, let him use it, the Internet has long been unlimited. Only there is a nuance - the connection to it is officially registered for you, and if this person does something illegal on the network, then they will come to you later. And you will have to somehow prove that you have nothing to do with it. Of course, it is unlikely that something will be serious, but you can lose your nerves and time on this.
Hack your local network
By connecting to a Wi-Fi router, an attacker can gain access to your local network or to those devices that are also connected to the router.
In case of incorrect network settings or with disabled security settings, an attacker can get your files or even access your computer. As practice shows, people do not think about it and use the default settings for the home network, which makes their devices vulnerable to this.
Access router settings
Each router has its own control panel. To enter there you need to look at the sticker or check the information on the network. Anyone who is connected to the router via Wi-Fi can easily enter the router settings. The password in this case is not so difficult to find - in 90% of cases it remains the default or the same as the password for the connection itself.
An attacker can get inside the router:
- Change all the device settings that you can;
- Depending on the model of the router, it can be used as a proxy server for further actions of intruders;
- View statistics, logs and everything that is available in the router settings.
And in this article I talk about my local area network 10 Gigabit. I conduct tests and show what I need it for.
What's the conclusion?
We ourselves are to blame for the vulnerability of our devices. Unfortunately, there are so many routers that it is impossible to show the settings for everyone, so I will describe them in general in words, and you can already look at the documentation for your model on the Internet and make the appropriate settings.
1. Don't even share your Wi-Fi password with your neighbor. Only to close people, friends and relatives for whom you are sure.
2. In the settings of each router, it is possible to register the MAC addresses of devices that are allowed to connect. It is advisable to do this. Each smartphone and computer has a MAC address - you need to register it in the router settings.
3. Use a strong password with special characters whenever possible. This is a bad password for the router: smirnov1987, nekrasova80k2, 1234567890. But it will be very difficult to find such a password: * q $% 0EO & EH.
4. Each router has a list of connections. It is advisable to periodically check if there are any unfamiliar devices in the list and change the password for Wi-Fi more often.
Remember! You are responsible for your network connection!
Subscribe: Telegram channel | Vkontakte community | classmates